Hazardous Materials Grant Program 2016-2019 Cycle for California

The U.S. Department of Transportation/Pipeline and Hazardous Safety Administration’s (US DOT/PHMSA) Hazardous Materials Grant Program (HMGP) provides assistance to public sector employees through training and planning grants to increase effectiveness in safe and efficient management of hazardous materials incidents.  Through the program, three emergency preparedness grants may be awarded;

  • Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness (HMEP) Grants,
  • Supplemental Public Sector Training (SPST) Grants, and
  • Hazardous Materials Instructor Training (HMIT) Grants.

On October 16, 2016, the State of California was awarded nearly 3.5 million dollars to be released in three installments over the 2016-2019 cycle.  30 percent of funding will be allocated for planning grants while the remaining 70 percent will be allotted for training grants.  During the first year of the grant cycle, precedence will be given for State-backed projects. However, sub-grant solicitations will begin in early 2017 for award in the second and third years of the grant cycle. All applications must be submitted through your Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC). For information on how to take advantage of HMGP funding, please contact your LEPC chapter.  More information about the HMGP can be found on the PHMSA and California Governor’s office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) websites.